Thursday, January 8, 2009

In the beginning

I thought I would start by posting the image that sparked my interest for capturing the unseen, thus beginning my career as a visual artist. I was 16 when I took this photograph of my oldest friend, Anna. It is taken with bulk black & white film that I loaded into the film canister, processed and developed myself. Anna and I are 3 months apart and have known each other since birth (our parents are close friends).
It was during our 10th grade art class, that we staged an impromptu photo shoot in the girls washroom of Western Canada High School in Calgary, Alberta. My art teacher did little to encourage or even notice me as an artist causing me to
not take it very seriously at the time. Fortunately my father, who is also a fine art photographer, recognized that I too may have the eye. His encouragement and fondness of this photo helped spark my enthusiasm for pursuing a career in photography.


I would like to dedicate this blog to my family and friends who have been such solid support for me over the years; whose constant inspiration helped get me through numerous difficult assignments while still in school. I'm especially thankful to my Mom who has always been there for me, no matter what when or where.


No comments:

Post a Comment